Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Flats Challenge

Not minutes after we signed the lease for our new house, we were at Sears looking for a washer and dryer.  I haven't lived in a house or apartment with an in-unit washer or dryer since I left home for college years ago, not counting the one summer I spent at home.  Since we moved in last week I have done countless loads of laundry, including diaper laundry.  Its heaven in two metal drums!

And now that I've enjoyed a week without handwashing diapers, the Flats and Handwashing Challenge starts Monday! When I first heard about the date, I thought to myself "I've been hand washing for a year -- I think I'm excused".  Then I thought on it longer -- always a mistake.

One year ago when I was staring at a pile of cloth diapers I wanted to love and a crazy-expensive-barely-working-cause-the-coin-machines-sucked washing routine, the first Flats Handwash Challenge was being blasted through the cloth diapering blogosphere.  It was from the tutorials inspired by the challenge that I learned how to make a camp washer and it was the challenge in the first place that showed me I might be able to make cloth diapering work for my family.  I may not have been the target audience -- although I might have been guilty of not changing my daughter's disposable as often as I should have cause, darn it, its hard to tell when those things are wet -- but the information gleaned in that week-long challenge helped make cloth diapering possible for my family.

So yes, I will be participating in the Flats and Handwashing Challenge by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  I'll be forgoing diaper laundry in my pristine, beautiful ELECTRIC washer for a week, and I promise I will not cry in a corner about it (okay, maybe a little).  Partially as a thank you, partially because I want an excuse to compare flats to our diaper inserts.  And partially because I want to show other mothers that you can make anything happen if it is important to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment