Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Day 2: What does it take?

I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world!  

Besides Hulk arms and a strong stomach?


I had magnificent plans to make all the covers and flats I would need for the challenge from what was left of my stash of diaper fabrics.  Instead I spent last week unpacking boxes and shushing my husband as he cursed at Ikea.  At 1am Sunday I had one flat made so I scrounged what I could and this is what I came up with:

My Super Duper Flats and Handwashing Challenge Materials List


The bright green is a homemade flat, the others are t-shirts
2 homemade flats from extra bamboo diaper fabric
6 T-shirt flats from my ridiculous stash of free-but-not-appropriate-for-grown-up-school t-shirts

Snappis we already had to secure the diapers

1 Covered Caboose side snapping OS wool cover(my favorite for handwashing)
2 upcycled fleece covers I made months ago and never used
gDiapers from our everyday stash

Our usual wipes

Never too young to pull
their weight
Our original bucket and plunger that we used for 6mos+ -- I would use our WonderWash but I gave it to a friend who is expecting the day before we moved

2 FROST drying racks we currently use to dry our diapers -- although I have my doubts after putting together our new wardrobe, I generally <3 IKEA. 



Pretty shower curtain -- To hide the diapers soaking in the bathtub
Rockin Green detergent?


.... Sh*t.


I used Rockin Green while hand washing and we still use Rockin Green on all our laundry -- no problem, right?  I noticed we were getting low last week so I ordered a couple more bags on Amazon.  With our awesome Prime 2-day shipping they were supposed to arrive yesterday.  They didn't.  I forgot to change the shipping address on my Amazon account so they are currently being "held [hostage] by carrier" in our old city.  I have enough Rockin Green detergent for one more load of hand washing, a sample of bumGenius detergent, and some borax and baking soda.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the postman.

As for how its going so far... as I was washing last night I realized I should have stripped the t-shirts.  Sure enough Johnny has had a wonderful rash at every change with the t-shirt flats.  He has the bright green flat tonight (fingers crossed it will hold him all night) so hopefully that rash will clear up.

If you are participating in the flats challenge, what are you using?  How is it going so far?




No comments:

Post a Comment