Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 8, July

I am very excited for this coming weeks' meals.  I think for the first time in my life I've actually planned a meal for myself further ahead than a day or two.  Its not that I'm incapable -- its that my natural state of being is spontaneity.  And, while I still love spontaneity in my life, with a 2 year old and a 5mo old I'm finding that some structure and planning has become a necessity.  Otherwise we end up placing an order for Papa John's on a Friday night at 9pm after the kids go to bed because our kitchen is lacking the makings for a complete meal and we are dog tired.
Tonight was some leftover turkey dogs and slaw.  Nom.  John got a head of cabbage and it turns out it is not as much of a pain to cut as one would think.  Here's the tutorial I used, from startcooking.com.  It was easy to understand.  When they say "Stabilize your cutting board" please do.  I nearly injured someone.  I'm not sure if it would have been me or John, but someone would have been bleeding.  And be sure to put your weight into it.  Cabbage, it turns out, is a tough nut.  As for the rest of the slaw, vinegar, mayo, and sugar.  My mother's recipe.  I'd give you the amounts, or even the ratios, but I have honestly have no clue.  And neither does she.  We just toss it all in and adjust until it tastes right.
Overall, not the healthiest, but it sure was quick: 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment