Tuesday, July 5, 2011

30 Days for Change -- July

Happy 4th!  We stayed in and fell asleep to the sounds of fireworks.  Quite pleasant since they were not just down the street this year.
This month our focus is going to be food.  John and I both want to eat better, in part because he is developing all the health accoutrements of middle 30s, namely high triglycerides and high LDL.  Bring on the oatmeal and cheerios!  Thankfully I have youth and genetics on my side, but even those will only account for so many hamburgers and slices of bacon.  Equally (probably more) important, we want to set a good example for our kids and refrain from putting trash in their bodies.  Our aim this month is to try to cook good, healthful, fresh food.  Sometimes this is a challenge during the school year because of time constraints so we are going to try cooking for a week at a time on the weekends.  We are also going to give making our own frozen dinners a shot.  John got me a Lean Cuisine for work the other day (300cal?  For dinner?  Really?  and 980mg sodium?) and I realized that our options for quick dinners that I can take to work or school are extremely limited if I want something healthy and satisfying.  We are also going to try to make use of the Farmer's Market within walking distance of our apartment.  Its a shame we don't shop there more often since it is all local and very tasty food.

In other news, I found the most delicious and decadent brownie recipe the other day.  Too bad we are cutting our desserts to once a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment